Music

“Where words fail, music speaks.” –Hans Christian Andersen


 Music is the science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity (source: Merriam-Webster). Music had been a part of the human race since the beginning up until now and it had−has been, continuing on evolving to more different kinds from mellow to hard-rock and from ballad to hip-hop, no matter what language it would be. Music will be commonly define by artist or singers as a way of saying what they can’t say directly, be it to someone they love or dear to them, or to the things they have opinions on. It has been a way to express things through rhymed words with accompanying musical instruments. Music can play a big role to one’s life as some tend to listen to it to lighten up the mood, or to simply enjoy and appreciate the work of other people.


Music has been a way for me to forget things. Has been an escape to the things I want to forget even for just a mere minute. It may sound weird but it certainly it is. I’m not the kind to play music or sing though, but that doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy it.
 In the growing world of music, it’s not like I don’t appreciate the OPM (Original Pilipino Music), it just happens that we have different preferences in terms of it. I do enjoy English ones, Taylor Swift’s, Owl City’s, Jason Mraz’s. Taylor Swift’s are simply nice, her lyrics are transparent, one listen to it and you can know what she wants to say. Owl City’s gives me nostalgic feels, their lyrics are, to say bluntly, is really hard to understand, it may sound as if the lyrics were not even related to the first stanzas but then as you continue on, the nostalgic feels will seep through inside and it’ll sometimes just trigger something in me that would sometimes make me smile more often than not. Jason Mraz’s, who doesn’t like Jason Mraz’s compositions? He’s one of the singer I look up the most because of his songs, the nostalgic feelings up to the reality that he states. It was nice to know that there are people who produce such good kind of music.


Still, above all, I enjoy Korean Pop, or simply K-pop. It’s not a secret that it is widely known worldwide since Super Junior to Big Bang and Girls’ Generation to 2NE1, or maybe even from the first generation of Korean Groups such as H.O.T. and S.E.S. It may seem odd to those people who doesn’t appreciate songs that the lyrics are not their own or even the universal, English, language. There are countless times I’ve been asked, you don’t even understand what they are saying, why do you like them and not your own country’s?, I asked myself that once too, and the answer just slap me in the face, language is not a basis to stop liking or appreciating something that makes you happy. I may not understand every word, but there would be the blogs and websites who are willingly providing translations, it’s only a click away to understand them so why would I stop myself from doing it? I appreciate OPM, I admire Filipino singers for composing songs, especially those who are not scared to give their personal opinions on the current way the government is governing the present Philippines.


Nevertheless, music is music, no matter what language it is, or what kind it is. It all depends on how certain person see things.


Since I’m more of a keep-things-to-myself type of person, and since music is a way to express things, feelings and opinions, I’ll be trying my best to express myself clearly as like it. Many misunderstands what I really meant by things I do or things I say and it actually gets frustrating to explain it that they got it all wrong, that it’s not what I meant.  I want people to fully understand my real intentions like how music does.


I've asked my students to design their own notebook based on their interests/hobbies. I've asked them further to make an essay about their design.